Monday, June 07, 2010

Bullock Cop Goes Postal


by K Mak

At 7:00am this morning, I walked into the Central Square U.S. Post Office in Cambridge, Massachussetts. The service desk where the postal clerks usually are was closed. Damn. It occurred to me that if I really needed anything, I could always try at the customer service window at the far left of the post office intake area.


So I walked around a little inside. Observed, I did, the shipping products section like I always do, looking for something new. Two boys looking. I spotted some loose labels. Bruce Sterling. After seeing that the price for two was $.69 each, I checked how much money I had on me. I had only planned to buy a stamp. Fortunately, I had enough money with me to purchase more than what I had intended in the first place.


I used a label. When I was finished addressing it, I found that there was nowhere to pay for it. I buzzed the customer service representative, a woman with, boy on the right looking, with short blond hair but she never looked at me from behind the glass;

rather, she glancedat me then turned to the side and walked away behind the glass window.It was 7:15am.
I had about fifteen minutes until the main clerk counter opened. So, I then sorted through my papers I had with me and jotted down some stories I thought I would like to work on today [the story list will follow this article].

At last the clerk counter opened [it was 7:30] and about 8 people poured through the main door. I kept letting each one get ahead of me even though I had been third or fourth in line. Something was making me uncomfortable about them and the postal clerk was looking at me weird.

Then the heat came on but I couldn't tell because I prefer AC.

I huffed and puffed and went over to the customer service window at the left side of the room.

There, from behind a desk a guy wearing a blue pin-striped, short-sleeve shirt hanging out over dark pants said I could pick up my mail at that post office location via a 30 day service called General Delivery.

It's a postal service for those doing business in an area temporarily. Many people use the service when moving to a new area and are apartment hunting. That postal clerk was not wearing a name tag, but neither was the black lady standing to his right, I think.

So this clerk tells me, "You need to talk to my supervisor," and reaches for a button on the phone. I tell him, "I don't need to speak to your supervisor, you're doing the job fine. Then he said, then I said, and round and round we went talking until I agreed with him and out pops his supervisor, Fran. His name was Michael.

Anyway, then I went back over to the postal clerk counter, paid for the labels and bought a stamp. Mr. Kendall, the clerk, gave me a purple heart stamp.

Coming stories in the next few days, weeks, and months include:
U.S. Dept. of Education
Student Loan Revampment
Food Prices
Minimum Wage
Human Genome
MIT Tech newspaper/MIT Police Dept.
Social Security

Stay tuned folks!!!!!!!!! :P

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home