Monday, June 07, 2010

Titty Ditty trying to steal my story

>From "Ms." Oct. 1987.

(In response to those who complain that feminism doesn't take
homemaking seriously enough as work):

"Six months ago I too was a self-described "happy homemaker" I baked
bread, grew roses, played with my toddler. Then I woke one morning and
found my husband ( and our car, our stereo, our checkbook, etc.) gone.
I was COMPLETELY surprised; I had assumed he was as happy as I was!

"I had to immediately find a job (which pays a third what his does);
arrange for day care: try to scrape together enough money for food,
mortgage, and utilities.

"Housewife is NOT a valid career option because you have no control
over your own life. If you lose your husband you can't go down to the
employment agency and apply for another one!"

Lenona.


At 7:00am this morning, I walked into the Central Square U.S. Post Office. The service desk where the postal clerks usually are was closed. Damn. It occurred to me that if I really needed anything, I could always try at the customer service window at the far left of the post office intake area.

So I walked around a little inside. Observed, I did, the shipping products section like I always do, looking for something new. Two boys looking. I spotted some loose labels. Bruce Sterling. After seeing that the price for two was $.69 each, I checked how much money I had on me. I had only planned to buy a stamp. Fortunately, I had enough money with me to purchase more than what I had intended in the first place.


I used a label. When I was finished addressing it, I found that there was nowhere to pay for it. I buzzed the customer service representative, a woman with, boy on the right looking, with short blond hair but she never looked at me from behind the glass;

rather, she glancedat me then turned to the side and walked away behind the glass window.It was 7:15am.
I had about fifteen minutes until the main clerk counter opened. So,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home